Growing up in a South American country, coconuts were plentiful. The people of my country ( Guyana) used every part of the coconut. Nothing went to waste. The Indians used coconut oil extensively in their beauty regimen. My mom also used it frequently in her beauty routine which she passed down to her daughters.
Coconut oil or Copra oil is an edible oil extracted from the kernel or meat of matured coconuts harvested from the coconut palm (Cocos nucifera). It is grown in the tropics of Asia, South America and the Caribbean. It is super rich in fatty acids called triglycerides and anti-oxidants.
Coconut oil can be used both internally and externally for the myriad of benefits it provides. Ingested, it has been said that it reduces cholesterol levels and boost the immune system. Externally it’s a super beauty oil with a 101 uses.
1. Use as a heat protectant for hair
2. As a moisturizer for your skin. It softens and hydrates rough skin.
3. Dandruff – Massage a few drops of coconut oil into your scalp to curb itchiness and flaking. It can also be used to treat lice.
4. On your skin for it’s anti-aging benefits. Coconut oil is packed with anti-oxidants which helps to renew skin cells, fade age spots and even fight acne.
5. As a sealant on your hair – A few drops add to the length of your hair seals the cuticles to lock in moisture. Also creates shiny locks.
6. As a deep treatment for your hair. You can also use the coconut milk as a deep conditioning treatment.
7. For oil pulling.
8. Nail and cuticle soak.
9. As sun block.
10. For the glow effect – Oh that beautiful coco glow! Massage a few drops into your skin for a beautiful glow.